ROLE: Head of Finance
ROLE AND PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Head of Finance is responsible and accountable for all aspects of financial management operations to include the development and implementation of a financial strategy that supports and sits with the organisations business strategy and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems to report accurate financial results.
Chief Executive Officer
KEY QUALITIES, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- A qualified accountant with 10 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience in strategic planning, change management and programme implementation
- Extensive knowledge and experience of contracting and negotiating with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required
- In-depth knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Experience in managing a finance function that includes financial accounting and reporting, cash management, risk management and control, policy development etc.
- Up to date knowledge of current financial and accounting computer applications
- Knowledge of taxation issues including tax liability management
- Proven ability to analyse financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections
- Proven ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Ability to work efficiently and lead in a fast paced, pressurised environment
- Proven track record of managing and building relationships, internally and externally to get the best out of people at all levels
- Significant experience operating and advising at an executive level
- High degree of personal resilience and integrity
- A positive, ‘can-do’ mentality, ability to find ways round obstacles and willing to exploit all of the available resources in order to accomplish objectives
- A commitment to continuing improvement and change by the application of self-managed learning techniques, supplemented where appropriate by deliberate, planned exposure to external learning sources (mentoring, coaching, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication including reports and business writing skills
- Work collaboratively with others to achieve business objectives.
- The ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines
The key accountabilities and responsibilities in this role are below:
Planning & Strategy
- Design, monitor and direct the implementation of strategic financial business plans;
- Develop financial and tax strategies and implement short- and long-term departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures;
- Manage the reserves, annual operational and event budgeting processes, and assist in the development of ‘special project’ budgets and planning with a focus on the development of infrastructural projects.
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the senior management team;
- Oversee the financial operations of the organisation
- Implement operational best practices in the Finance team;
- Oversee financial programs, accounting and budgeting systems, and tax planning strategies;
- Ensure compliance with all Financial Accounting, taxation (domestic and international) and regulatory requirements;
- Oversee the approval and processing of day to day activities in the Finance department which include managing revenue, expenditure, investments, budgets, payroll and audit;
- Oversee the preparation and finalising of the management accounts, audited financial statements, financial reporting and any special analysis required from time to time;
- Analyse and manage cash flow, cost controls, and expenses and establish and maintain appropriate internal controls and safeguards;
- Report financial results to the Board of Directors and to the Finance Committee.
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies;
- Manage the Finance Department divisional Risk Register
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations.
- Draft papers and report updates to the Finance Committee and Board
- Act Company Secretary