The Revenue Operations Manager manages, reviews and approves the development, implementation and maintenance of Revenue Recognition models. The individual in this role partners with project managers and other key stakeholders in the organization to ensure customer deployment projects are accounted for accurately. The Revenue Operations Manager monitors and reviews monthly reports of revenues and expenditures for projects, provides record of assets, liabilities and other financial transactions. The individual in this capacity may assist in the setup of processes and procedures that properly capture, track and report revenue, including deferred revenue, in accordance with the company revenue recognition policy. The individual may generate revenue reports for internal and/or external use, and they may interpret reports and records for managers/stakeholders, and they may be involved in reviewing, tracking and maintaining billing information in the financial systems, ensuring accuracy and compliance with U.S. GAAP and other accounting regulations.
Additionally, the Revenue Operations Manager will establish proactive working relationships, provide training and guidance to direct reports, and be responsible for accurate recognition and recording of revenue and deferred revenue transactions in compliance with applicable GAAP requirements for various performance obligations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take the lead on reviewing ASC-606 models and identifying contract elements to be accounted for.
- Review and approve accurate revenue recognition models for assigned projects.
- Perform critical review of revenue and cost forecast changes to determine revenue recognition impact.
- Evaluate, create and implement processes and controls to ensure compliance with US GAAP, ASC-606, IFRS-15 policies.
- Communicate and educate on revenue recognition requirements.
- Communicate judgments to Revenue Operations Controller pertaining to revenue recognition through regular meetings.
- Review analytical revenue and unbilled receivable management reporting.
- At quarter end, ensure that key stakeholders are being kept up-to-date on any material adjustments to be made.
- Identify and articulate complex revenue accounting issues clearly and concisely and prepare revenue recognition positions for internal and external auditor review.
- Responsible for the review of various revenue adjusting entries for direct reports.
- Responsible for the review and approval of balance sheet reconciliations for direct reports.
- Identify and implement process improvements in the current and future revenue accounting processes.
- Communicate with internal and external auditors and provide support to the accounting shared services organisation during statutory audits.
- Serve as a point of contact for senior and executive management and business partners. Build positive, effective working relationships with business partners and operations personnel.
- Develop and train revenue staff and direct reports and coordinate documentation where required.
- Monitor, support, guide and advise direct reports through 1:1’s, goal meetings and appraisals
- Build positive relationships with project managers and other key stakeholders.
- Contribute to a positive team environment.
Education and required experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in a public accounting firm or with a public technology company who has specialized in revenue accounting. If candidate has public accounting experience, requirement is reduced to 5 years. Candidate should have a working understanding of revenue recognition accounting requirements.
- Big 4 background strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication, team player, supervisory, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently to identify problems early, explore possible solutions and drive for consensus building.
- Strong general accounting skills and passion for accounting.
- Willingness to take on additional projects and responsibilities as needed.
- Detailed understanding of revenue recognition accounting pronouncements including ASC 606 with strong preference to candidates who have practical experience in implementing these revenue accounting rules.
- Familiar with the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s Accounting Standards Codification (ASC) that became effective July 1, 2009.
- Strong ability to research US GAAP and Industry guidance and can apply accounting guidance to complex arrangements.
- Experience with Oracle and Oracle Projects Module a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
Certifications: CPA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA preferred